As promised, here is a Steamed Pudding recipe which is absolutely delicious.
Steamed Apricot and Autumn Spices Pudding
200g brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 tbsp milk
125 ml apricot jam
2 pint pudding basin (half the quantities for a 1 pint basin)
1. Lightly butter the pudding basin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs beating well as you go.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and ginger and mix into the batter. Stir in the raisins and then add the milk to make a dropping consistency.
4. Pour the jam into the basin and then spoon over the batter.
5. Cover the basin top with greaseproof paper, crease in the middle to allow for the pudding to expand and tie the paper securely to the basin with string.
6. Place the pudding in a saucepan not much larger than the basin and pour hot water to around 3/4 of the way up the basin. Cover and simmer for 1 hour remembering to keep the water around the basin topped up.
7. Turn the basin out onto a warm plate and serve with thick double cream.